Few months ago, as I was hurrying through the baking aisle (btw I am always in a hurry) I found coffee extract right next to the vanilla essence. I have never tried coffee extract before and wanted to try it out and I found the recipe, right on the back of the box 🙂 Who doesn’t love cup cakes, right ??
The only catch was that it had a ton of butter! Half a cup to be precise. So I tired this other thing that I have been meaning to do for ages – substitute half of the butter with some kind of fruit puree. (Fruit purees are supposed to be great / healthy alternatives for butter ). I also made it a tad more healthier by using a combination of all purpose and wheat flours while the original recipe only used all purpose flour.
What you need:
- 1/4 C Butter
- 1/4 C Apple Sauce
- 3/4 C Sugar. The original recipe called for 1 C sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Coffee extract
- 1/2 All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 C Whole Wheat Flour
- 1.5 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 C Unsweetened Cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C Milk + 2 tbsp
How its done:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Line the muffin pan and keep it aside
- Cream the butter and sugar. When it is smooth, add the eggs and mix again.
- Add the apple sauce and coffee extract.
- In a separate bowl combine the flours, baking powder, cocoa and salt
- Add the wet ingredients to the dr ones and mix until combined well. Do not over mix
- Add the milk and mix gently until and ensure that there are no lumps
- Add the batter to the muffin pan. About 3/4ths of the batter in each cup will do the trick
- Pop the muffin pan into the oven and bake for 20 minutes / until a skewer inserted into the muffins comes out clean
If you plan on frosting the muffins, wait until they have completely cooled. I frosted mine using whipped cream frosting (recipe shall be published soon) and chocolate flakes (Just grate the chocolate using a carrot grater – that is what I did!).
And just or the record, my son and hubby enjoyed the cup-cakes – the later more than the former 🙂